We are pleased to announce the formation of India Competence.
India Competence is a network of organisations with a strong belief in community strengths and committed to the spread of AIDS Competence Process. The network is characterised by a non-hierarchical structure with a yearly rotating host organization starting with SIAAP and aims to (i) go to scale with the approach, (ii) adapt it to help communities respond to their key issues, (iii) coordinate the facilitation of local responses nationally, and (iv) influence national policy in support of local responses.
The AIDS Competence Process is a community-driven approach to foster ownership of the HIV challenge by the people themselves and applying their own solutions through own resources. The basic tenet of AIDS Competence is that people are the principal actors of their own change. People’s capacity to address HIV needs to be revealed and nurtured. Facilitators stimulate them to take action through this approach that appreciates strengths and fosters local ownership.
Under ADB funded project (2007-2009) 153 members from 10 NGOs have been trained on the AIDS Competence Process (ACP) in the past two years. They can now apply the ACP with confidence in their programs and they are actively transferring the approach to nearby communities and organizations. Across at least nine states these organisations have been practicing ACP in their organisations and their communities including general communities, migrants, Sex workers, MSM, Truckers and IDUs.
The National support team comprises of following individuals and organisations:
1. Sanghamitra Iyengar, Samraksha, Karnataka
2. Indumathi Ravishankar, South India AIDS Action Programme (SIAAP), Tamil Nadu
3. E Mohammad Rafique, CARE India, Delhi
4. Bobby Zachariah, ACP Coach, Constellation for AIDS Competence, Maharashtra
5. M.L. Prabakar, South India AIDS Action Programme (SIAAP), Tamil Nadu
6. Zoengpari, ACP Coach, Constellation for AIDS Competence, Mizoram
7. Fr Joe Ngamkhuchung, People in Need Foundation, Nagaland
8. Seema Jai, Aashodhya Samiti, Karnataka
9. Prathima, Aashodhya Samiti, Karnataka
10. Rituu B Nanda, Constellation for AIDS Competence, Delhi
If you are interested to know more about India Competence and its approach, contact Rituu B Nanda firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit our website: www.communitylifecompetence.org
Join our community: https://aidscompetence.ning.com/