Connecting local responses around the world
We had a very inspiring visit to Ethiopia last week with IIRR and partners who have been working hard at integrating elements of ACP into their existing Community Managed Risk Reduction (CMDRR) Strategy. You will see the excellent photos and video clips that Ricardo has been uploading over the past couple of days.
It got me thinking about the word 'integration'. Seems everyone is using it these days, and as with many things we start saying it and stop thinking deeply about what it really means.
What I saw and learned from the visit in Ethiopia about integration:
* It's hard work, but possible
* adding on 'activities' is easy, but internalizing the reasons why we do what we do, so that our actions reflect a consistency between belief and practise is much harder
* integration is about a + that speaks to added value, not just more things to do
* communities and people in their homes and families act in much more integrated ways then we do as organisations
* integration is about wholeness - not being fragmented in the way we think and behave
Congratulations to the team members in Ethiopia who I believe have demonstrated this integration and can share that lesson with others - listen to the video clips and you will see what I mean!